General News
20 February, 2026
Discussions continue on pool future
THE future of the Port Fairy indoor pool remains in limbo while council awaits findings from a ‘technical investigation.’

Late last month council announced a comprehensive technical investigation would be undertaken to analyse all components of the facility to identify current defects, failures and compliance issues.
The investigation will also assess the structural integrity of the building and roof elements; measure the extent, causes and remediation requirements for mould contamination; and assess plant and equipment safety, compliance, condition and expected remaining life.
The investigation will also assess the pool shell, concourse and related structural components; identify short-term ratification works to enable safe operation (if feasible) and identify and quantify the long-term renewal, upgrade or replacement requirements.
It will also prepare lifecycle-based cost estimates covering ongoing maintenance costs and capital renewal costs.
It is believed this investigation and report will enable a thorough understanding of the current condition of the facility and enable informed decision-making, both short and long term.
In a release issued earlier this week, Moyne Shire Council said it was “grateful” for the feedback received from the community during recent ‘Have Your Say’ community engagement sessions.
At the session in Port Fairy, the council heard many questions about the closure, the current status and future of the Port Fairy pool and gym facility.
“We acknowledge the strong feelings held by many in the community and share the disappointment and frustration about the current circumstances and thank those who shared their thoughts respectfully,” the release read.
“We do take this opportunity to ask that all forms of engagement are respectful and civil with councillors and council staff.”
Council acknowledged it had heard questions about the original closure of the pool due to mould and algae identified throughout the facility.
Council supported the Belfast Aquatic committee’s decision to voluntarily close the pool and fitness centre on November 21, 2025, noting the committee was not in a position to resolve the mould and algae issues.
The facility came under council’s care and control on January 16 this year.
“Our obligations around managing the mould fall under the Public health and Wellbeing (PHW) Act 2008,” this week’s statement read.
“Council’s obligations under the PHW Act apply to the whole facility, so areas such as the gym or fitness room unfortunately cannot be considered separately from the pool.”
Council staff and contractors have continued to access the facility wearing appropriate personal protective equipment – and, as such, the facility is being regularly monitored.
Council is confident this recent investigation and report will enable a thorough understanding of the current condition of the facility and enable informed decision-making, both short and long term.
Council has said it would continue to regularly inform the community of its next steps with regards to the facility.
It is anticipated the next update will advise on the expert contractors to undertake this work, with dates on when council expects the information to be presented to council.
For more information on the frequently asked questions page about the Port Fairy pool visit www.moyne.vic.gov.au/Port-Fairy-pool-FAQ