Advertisement

General News

21 August, 2026

Walkway trial now in place

PEOPLE will no longer need to walk on the road, or try to balance on a narrow kerb in Flaherty Lane, with Warrnambool City Council set to trial a dedicated two metre wide pedestrian walkway.


Flaherty Lane is now an exit only for vehicles (for the next three months) with this week’s introduction of a trial, two metre wide pedestrian walkway.
Flaherty Lane is now an exit only for vehicles (for the next three months) with this week’s introduction of a trial, two metre wide pedestrian walkway.
Advertisement

To accommodate this, Flaherty Lane is now an exit only for vehicles.

Vehicles seeking to enter Ozone Carpark will be directed to enter via Timor Street.

The trial was first proposed earlier this year and will last for three months from August 18.

Warrnambool mayor Cr Ben Blain said that the aim was to make Flaherty Lane safer for people walking between Ozone Carpark and Kepler Street.

“At the moment, people walking through Flaherty Lane either have to use the narrow kerb or share the road with vehicles entering and leaving the carpark,” he said.

“That becomes particularly difficult for people using mobility aids or pushing prams.

“Creating a dedicated walkway will provide a clear separation between people and vehicles.”

Cr Blain said that changes to De Grandi Lane and the intersection of Timor and Gilles streets have significantly improved pedestrian safety while Ozone carpark retained its high levels of usage.

“With the changes to the carpark earlier this year, safety has really improved in De Grandi Lane while the carpark itself has continued to be popular,” he said.

Advertisement

“The Flaherty Lane trial aims to further improve safety in the carpark.

“As with any change, there can be a bit of an adjustment period, which is why we’re trialling the new arrangement in Flaherty Lane for three months.

“We will gather feedback from nearby businesses as well as people who use the carpark, and we will also collect speed and traffic data.

“At the end of the trial, we will use that information to decide whether the arrangement should continue or whether Flaherty Lane should revert to its previous configuration.”

Opportunities to provide feedback will begin approximately four weeks after the trial commences.

Work to carry out the line marking and to install appropriate barriers took place earlier this week.

Users will be able to exit the carpark via the alternate Kepler Street laneway.

Motorists and pedestrians are advised to observe all signage, with traffic control onsite to assist in movements.

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Advertisement

Most Popular

Advertisement